Prologue...
I lead a rather interesting life in my opinion. I've achieved a lot that I am proud of in my life. Couldn't have done it without some help from upstairs though. I'm currently juggling my studies as a Pharmacy student and my work as President of the Students Association in my university. It's tough I must admit. It's good though. Keeps me occupied and allows me to do something I actually like doing while I am not studying. However, I need to focus a little more on my studies. It's getting difficult now especially because of the Government's attack on student organisations. I chose a tough time to be the President. But well... Did I actually choose to be President? I won it but then I lost it. Then I got it back again. The first time I won it I didn't actually expect it and I didn't even campaign for it. But the second time I actually made sure I got it. Why did I sign the deal? When I found out I won the position I was not too ecstatic. I didn't mind if I didn't get it. But after I lost it, it made me want it even more. Now here I am. I've been in this position for almost 3 months. Things have been going well. Everything was smooth. All until last Wednesday. Voluntary Student Unionism (VSU) has turned everything around. I can't believe how bad the timing could be. As it is things were shaping up to be a great year with our Association blossoming and reps working extremely well together. Now the Government wants to wipe it all off; and I'm left with the task of making sure we don't collapse next year. Is that going to be tough? Hell yeah. It's been a crazy week for me. Phone calls have not stopped with the media hounding me all day (strangely enough they don't seem to publish me much) and staff members wanting assurances. What am I supposed to do? I'm the head of the organisation. However, it feels terrible when I have to ultimately be involved in ending the job of a staff member. How must it feel for them? Knowing that their jobs are in the hands of students. Should I act in the interests of the organisation or in the interests of human beings? The problem is; they're both related. If I act in the interests of the staff members as human beings who need a job the organisation runs the risk of collapsing and in the end, both staff and students will suffer. On the other hand if I act in the interests of the organisation, I will start to question my ethics. Should humans be seen as merely a resource to run the organisation? What a dilemma! No matter what step I take, someone will lose. How do you deal with a situation where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't? It's interesting though. A challenge nonetheless. There is a reason I'm here. There's a reason I got this position when I didn't plan for it. I wanted to be City East Branch Director this year, Central International Rep next year and President when I graduated. Circumstances seem to have thrown my plans out the window. Then again, I may well be the last President of the Association. Good timing? It could be. Then again I would be kidding myself. God has given me a lot. I'm not the typical ultra-religious "holier than thou" type of person. But I'm not stupid either. I should be able to recognise that after all He's done for me. What a trial He's put before me! Like a sword I will have to pass through the heat of the flames to be refined into a magnificent blade. I will fight this to the end. Too many things are at stake. Too many people will suffer if I screw up. I can't screw up. I won't. The weight of expectation placed on my shoulders will only motivate me to fight even harder for those who depend on me. After all, I would want that if I were in their situation. I must admit that I am tired. Really tired. Sometimes I don't have the strength to carry on. But when I think of how much depends on what I do... I can't let them down. I'll draw my strength from those that depend on me, those I fight for and ultimately, drink my water from the spring that never dries. It's going to be fun! I really love playing games. Now let the games begin...








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home