Jaded...
What a tiring day. Wednesdays are meant to be my day off from study. No such luxury for me though. Wednesdays are a chance for me to catch up with my work as President. Had to force myself out of bed this morning and head to uni early to prepare for my Council meeting today. Got my photos that were taken for University Council today. Somehow or other I'm never fully happy with my photos. Guess i'm not very photogenic. I can take 20 photos of myself and not one of them would I deem acceptable. Oh well, maybe I'm just a little too vain. Finally chose two photos that were reasonable.
Council today went for 5 hours! What a record we set. We started at 12pm and since the close of business is 5pm I had to rush the meeting so that the staff could go home. The main issue which took more than an hour to discuss was again VSU. The Government is getting on my nerves. They have no idea how big an impact VSU will have. We'll be losing about 4 and a half million dollars. Imagine what we have to do to recoup that. We would have to do things we would never normally consider. Our whole focus now changes from serving the students to surviving to ensure we can continue to provide service. I find it difficult to believe that some people can even support VSU. Don't they see how many people will suffer with this legislation? All they can think about is getting back their couple of hundred dollars. The thing that pisses me off the most is that people who actually support VSU are those with secure jobs, families and are financially stable. Don't they even care about those less fortunate than themselves who rely on the services we provide? The Government has not been able to answer our questions. It's completely ridiculous. Brendan Nelson goes a full circle when the difficult questions are put to him and dodges them completely. All he can say is that it is all about freedom of choice. If that's the case, make everything a freedom of choice. Why should Australians who oppose the war in Iraq be forced to pay taxes that are used to fund the war? Some people have the audacity to say that we can't compare Union fees to taxes. Why not? You argue that it's the principle of the matter. The fact is that if you are saying it should be a freedom, we should apply the freedom to everything else in the country. I do not understand how some people can seriously believe in a principle that does not hold water and cannot defend its own arguments. Oh well, human beings are idiots. All they do is look out for themselves. It's not easy to find a more selfish creature.
Dealing with Council is like herding cattle. You need to push hard enough and they will follow your direction. It's interesting that Council this year seems to agree on everything and also agree with what I say. It makes things a lot easier. But then again it gets boring after a while. It would be interesting to see a split in the votes for once. Oh well, at least I know they are supportive of me. Although this is going to be an extremely tough year as President, it's very reassuring to know that you have an active and supportive Council complemented with a strong financial position for the Association. Makes this job a whole lot easier. We still need to do a lot though. It's difficult because we are still students and many of use do not know the implications of certain actions. Getting rid of a service may cause another department to lose out and so on. It's all very tightly knit together. That's why we'll need to call for professional help and develop a strategic plan for our Association.
I wonder how I'm going to cope with my studies. Every day I say to myself that I will study later. But it keeps being postponed as I am so tired by the time I get home. I really need the holidays. I need to catch up big time. I feel bad for having to rely on my friends to help me with preparation for tutorials or take notes for me when I miss lectures. Must make sure I repay them in due time. This blog seems to be more like a diary. The problem is that I can't seem to think of interesting things to type about at the moment because my mind is so numb. I'll make sure I type out some of my thoughts in future when I'm not so tired. Oh well, better get back to my work...
Council today went for 5 hours! What a record we set. We started at 12pm and since the close of business is 5pm I had to rush the meeting so that the staff could go home. The main issue which took more than an hour to discuss was again VSU. The Government is getting on my nerves. They have no idea how big an impact VSU will have. We'll be losing about 4 and a half million dollars. Imagine what we have to do to recoup that. We would have to do things we would never normally consider. Our whole focus now changes from serving the students to surviving to ensure we can continue to provide service. I find it difficult to believe that some people can even support VSU. Don't they see how many people will suffer with this legislation? All they can think about is getting back their couple of hundred dollars. The thing that pisses me off the most is that people who actually support VSU are those with secure jobs, families and are financially stable. Don't they even care about those less fortunate than themselves who rely on the services we provide? The Government has not been able to answer our questions. It's completely ridiculous. Brendan Nelson goes a full circle when the difficult questions are put to him and dodges them completely. All he can say is that it is all about freedom of choice. If that's the case, make everything a freedom of choice. Why should Australians who oppose the war in Iraq be forced to pay taxes that are used to fund the war? Some people have the audacity to say that we can't compare Union fees to taxes. Why not? You argue that it's the principle of the matter. The fact is that if you are saying it should be a freedom, we should apply the freedom to everything else in the country. I do not understand how some people can seriously believe in a principle that does not hold water and cannot defend its own arguments. Oh well, human beings are idiots. All they do is look out for themselves. It's not easy to find a more selfish creature.
Dealing with Council is like herding cattle. You need to push hard enough and they will follow your direction. It's interesting that Council this year seems to agree on everything and also agree with what I say. It makes things a lot easier. But then again it gets boring after a while. It would be interesting to see a split in the votes for once. Oh well, at least I know they are supportive of me. Although this is going to be an extremely tough year as President, it's very reassuring to know that you have an active and supportive Council complemented with a strong financial position for the Association. Makes this job a whole lot easier. We still need to do a lot though. It's difficult because we are still students and many of use do not know the implications of certain actions. Getting rid of a service may cause another department to lose out and so on. It's all very tightly knit together. That's why we'll need to call for professional help and develop a strategic plan for our Association.
I wonder how I'm going to cope with my studies. Every day I say to myself that I will study later. But it keeps being postponed as I am so tired by the time I get home. I really need the holidays. I need to catch up big time. I feel bad for having to rely on my friends to help me with preparation for tutorials or take notes for me when I miss lectures. Must make sure I repay them in due time. This blog seems to be more like a diary. The problem is that I can't seem to think of interesting things to type about at the moment because my mind is so numb. I'll make sure I type out some of my thoughts in future when I'm not so tired. Oh well, better get back to my work...








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home