Defection...
It's been a long time since I actually posted something. This coming week is going to be a very busy week for me and it all begins with my Epidemiology test tomorrow morning. The last week of my holidays was rather interesting. I didn't get much chance to relax as much as I would have wanted to but it was good and I did enjoy myself. I guess the title of this post seems rather treacherous. I'll try explaining it without going into too much detail.
In the world of politics, people are categorised as either being right-wing or left-wing. Those who are associated with the right-wing are more conservative and liberal. Those associated with the left-wing are more radical and if you go further it progresses to socialism and communism. In Australian politics, the Liberal Party is considered extreme right-wing whereas the Labor Party consists of both moderate right-wing and left-wing members (but the right have the majority). Bored already? Let me get to the point. A fellow student politician I know recently defected from a moderate left-wing group and joined an extreme right-wing group. Strange? Well, the former group was revealing cracks and was the group whose dominance I managed to bring to an abrupt halt in my university. The latter group is a group that has been around for a while but has only just recently surfaced to join in the political struggle of my university. The person I am talking about claims to be the same person and only swapped sides because the person is not happy with the way things are going with his/her former group. Take this into consideration: this person's former group and new group are bitter enemies! Isn't it strange for a person to move to a group the person once hated all his/her life? Kind of reminds me of a certain Australian politician who is currently pushing for VSU...
Anyways, i find it difficult to comprehend that this was merely a change in ideologies. It seems more like a strategic move especially if the person wants a future career in politics. What about the new group? Shouldn't they be suspicious that such a high profile opponent has decided to join them? Sure, the person can provide the group with experience and information but is it really that easy to accept a one-time enemy? I must admit that I had this possibility in my mind but never thought that it would actually happen. Imagine the implications! The person would most definitely have to change certain principles and beliefs in order to become well accepted by the group. In the back of my mind I feel a little played out with this issue even though it does not directly affect myself or my group negatively. Regardless, I need to keep an eye out and watch my back from now on...
Politics is a very dirty business. It is neither safe nor fulfilling. Why then do I do it? I guess I was basically thrown into the world of student politics when I first joined the Students Association. Who would imagine that you need to know the politics just to represent your fellow students? I learned about the politics as I progressed in the Association but only really blossomed after the NLC Annual Conference in Brisbane last year. I learned more in that one week of conference than in my 1 1/2 years with the Association. Anyways, after the conference I decided to take over the running of the NLC caucus in my uni and the rest is sweet sweet history resulting in my rise to the Presidency (which was never ever in my wildest dreams possible for an international student). I now know more about Australian politics than Malaysian politics! I realise I haven't actually answered my first question in this paragraph. I do it because I like it. Simple as that. What is there to like about it? Hard to explain. It's something new and is exciting. It also keeps me on my toes. What's life without excitement and controversy? I doubt I'll ever become a politician but that position may well change in the future. After all, I'm not even sure I want to be a Pharmacist! All in all, my involvement in student politics is something that you'll never be able to learn from books and has really helped me improved myself in so many ways that I've lost count.
I believe it's alright to be involved in politics as long as you do not allow it to corrupt you. That is the biggest danger of politics. It is like fire. It is very useful and beneficial to a person but can never be fully tamed and if you are not careful, it may very well burn you. It is such a shame that I have seen so many people become corrupted by politics. Their focus changes from upholding the welfare of the people they represent to upholding personal interests or beliefs. They become hardened and lose sight of reason. Politics can also be likened to medication. At too low a dose you do not have much influence or effect. At too high a dose you can become dependent and suffer severe adverse reactions. It's all about finding a balance and maintaining it.
Oh well, I'd better get back to my studies. The test tomorrow carries significant weightage and I need to make sure I do well in it. First step into a week of turbulent waters...
In the world of politics, people are categorised as either being right-wing or left-wing. Those who are associated with the right-wing are more conservative and liberal. Those associated with the left-wing are more radical and if you go further it progresses to socialism and communism. In Australian politics, the Liberal Party is considered extreme right-wing whereas the Labor Party consists of both moderate right-wing and left-wing members (but the right have the majority). Bored already? Let me get to the point. A fellow student politician I know recently defected from a moderate left-wing group and joined an extreme right-wing group. Strange? Well, the former group was revealing cracks and was the group whose dominance I managed to bring to an abrupt halt in my university. The latter group is a group that has been around for a while but has only just recently surfaced to join in the political struggle of my university. The person I am talking about claims to be the same person and only swapped sides because the person is not happy with the way things are going with his/her former group. Take this into consideration: this person's former group and new group are bitter enemies! Isn't it strange for a person to move to a group the person once hated all his/her life? Kind of reminds me of a certain Australian politician who is currently pushing for VSU...
Anyways, i find it difficult to comprehend that this was merely a change in ideologies. It seems more like a strategic move especially if the person wants a future career in politics. What about the new group? Shouldn't they be suspicious that such a high profile opponent has decided to join them? Sure, the person can provide the group with experience and information but is it really that easy to accept a one-time enemy? I must admit that I had this possibility in my mind but never thought that it would actually happen. Imagine the implications! The person would most definitely have to change certain principles and beliefs in order to become well accepted by the group. In the back of my mind I feel a little played out with this issue even though it does not directly affect myself or my group negatively. Regardless, I need to keep an eye out and watch my back from now on...
Politics is a very dirty business. It is neither safe nor fulfilling. Why then do I do it? I guess I was basically thrown into the world of student politics when I first joined the Students Association. Who would imagine that you need to know the politics just to represent your fellow students? I learned about the politics as I progressed in the Association but only really blossomed after the NLC Annual Conference in Brisbane last year. I learned more in that one week of conference than in my 1 1/2 years with the Association. Anyways, after the conference I decided to take over the running of the NLC caucus in my uni and the rest is sweet sweet history resulting in my rise to the Presidency (which was never ever in my wildest dreams possible for an international student). I now know more about Australian politics than Malaysian politics! I realise I haven't actually answered my first question in this paragraph. I do it because I like it. Simple as that. What is there to like about it? Hard to explain. It's something new and is exciting. It also keeps me on my toes. What's life without excitement and controversy? I doubt I'll ever become a politician but that position may well change in the future. After all, I'm not even sure I want to be a Pharmacist! All in all, my involvement in student politics is something that you'll never be able to learn from books and has really helped me improved myself in so many ways that I've lost count.
I believe it's alright to be involved in politics as long as you do not allow it to corrupt you. That is the biggest danger of politics. It is like fire. It is very useful and beneficial to a person but can never be fully tamed and if you are not careful, it may very well burn you. It is such a shame that I have seen so many people become corrupted by politics. Their focus changes from upholding the welfare of the people they represent to upholding personal interests or beliefs. They become hardened and lose sight of reason. Politics can also be likened to medication. At too low a dose you do not have much influence or effect. At too high a dose you can become dependent and suffer severe adverse reactions. It's all about finding a balance and maintaining it.
Oh well, I'd better get back to my studies. The test tomorrow carries significant weightage and I need to make sure I do well in it. First step into a week of turbulent waters...








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home