Habemus Papam...!
We have a Pope! I was chatting with a friend until the wee hours of the morning when she said "white smoke". Well, I quickly turned on the TV and flicked across the channels to see if there was any news but most stations were closed. Finally I found that channel 7 just turned to news and I watched in anticipation for the announcement of who was elected. The Vatican was amass with people and it was so amazing. Got my camera ready and just kept watching until finally Cardinal Jorge Arturo Medina Estivez came out and started talking. Problem was, it was in Italian! I managed to make out what he was saying and he finally announced that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was elected and the crowd went wild. I was so excited and full of anticipation for the announcement that I was panicking when the memory in my camera was finishing and I had to struggle to get a new memory stick in. In the end I had to switch to a lower quality recording to be able to record longer. I spent quite a long time in front of the TV and went to bed quite happy.
I must say that the Conclave made its decision very quickly after only 2 days of balloting. It is said that this was an indication that the majority of Cardinals were confident and in agreement with the newly elected Pope. Cardinal Ratzinger was arguably the most powerful man in the Vatican and considered as one of the frontrunners for the Papacy. I had him in my mind as a possible candidate but his age seemed to be a concern as he just turned 78. Seems that that didn't deter his chances. Anyways, I'm happy that they chose a strong defender of the faith to lead the Church. He is very conservative but that's the way the church needs to be. It is not supposed to "get with the times" and so on. After all, we can't go back and "revise" the Bible just to keep with the times. There is continuous pressure on the church when it comes to contraception and so on and although I may at times think twice about what the church preaches, ultimately the current doctrine is the way it should be and I see little to no need for "modernisation". I don't feel like debating theology now but while some people are frustrated that the church won't have any "revolutions", I'm happy that we can keep going as we always have been. Down the right path.
Interesting name as well. I couldn't understand what was being said so at first I thought Cardinal Ratzinger chose the name John Paul II but later found I was mistaken when he was introduced as Pope Benedict XVI. I wonder if he will ever tell us why he chose that name.
Well, at least we have a Pope again. I doubt there will be another as great as Pope John Paul II anytime soon. Nevertheless, we have to move on. The end of one chapter marks the beginning of another. Let's hope Pope Benedict XVI can be a great Pope.
I must say that the Conclave made its decision very quickly after only 2 days of balloting. It is said that this was an indication that the majority of Cardinals were confident and in agreement with the newly elected Pope. Cardinal Ratzinger was arguably the most powerful man in the Vatican and considered as one of the frontrunners for the Papacy. I had him in my mind as a possible candidate but his age seemed to be a concern as he just turned 78. Seems that that didn't deter his chances. Anyways, I'm happy that they chose a strong defender of the faith to lead the Church. He is very conservative but that's the way the church needs to be. It is not supposed to "get with the times" and so on. After all, we can't go back and "revise" the Bible just to keep with the times. There is continuous pressure on the church when it comes to contraception and so on and although I may at times think twice about what the church preaches, ultimately the current doctrine is the way it should be and I see little to no need for "modernisation". I don't feel like debating theology now but while some people are frustrated that the church won't have any "revolutions", I'm happy that we can keep going as we always have been. Down the right path.
Interesting name as well. I couldn't understand what was being said so at first I thought Cardinal Ratzinger chose the name John Paul II but later found I was mistaken when he was introduced as Pope Benedict XVI. I wonder if he will ever tell us why he chose that name.
Well, at least we have a Pope again. I doubt there will be another as great as Pope John Paul II anytime soon. Nevertheless, we have to move on. The end of one chapter marks the beginning of another. Let's hope Pope Benedict XVI can be a great Pope.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home