Adelaide & Flinders Uni elections...
2nd September 2005
Adelaide Uni has always been a tough university for us in getting international student representation and obtaining NUS delegates. Nevertheless, this year we actually managed to get a good team together. They spent quite a bit of time organising their campaign under my guidance and chose to run under the same banner that we at UniSA won the elections with last year. There wasn't much that they could do in terms of securing positions via negotiations because, being new, the other factions didn't acknowledge them as yet. Anyways, they encountered hostility even before the elections when they were putting up posters. Despite that, they kept their cool and managed to keep their focus on the task at hand.
It is very childish for a bigger faction to bully a smaller, newly formed faction. You tend to wonder what they are so insecure about. When new factions in UniSA form and approach me I ensure that I give them as much advice as they need. After all, it's just an election! It's not like their whole career will be gone if they don't win with a landslide victory. Shameful! Some people want to be involved in student representation to actually make a positive difference you idiots! You can milk your student organisation it for all its worth but let others who have genuine interests in representing student needs be involved as well.
Anyways, our Adelaide Uni team managed to campaign reasonably well (so I heard) for the entire week. The results were a slight disappointment though. Our biggest target was to obtain an NUS delegate. Our candidate only managed to obtain 9th place out of the 6 available. Regardless, we were able to obtain representation on the Union Board and the Students Association Council. Well, we didn't get everything we want but you did a good job people! It's always good to see people who are enthusiastic about being involved in student representation. There's always a next time. We'll just have to work towards it!
9th September 2005
Our team in Flinders Uni has also not been that strong despite our NLC South Australia leaders hailing from this university. Nevertheless our Flinders team has always managed to obtain 1 NUS delegate. I'm not too sure how the campaign fared as I was not there for their elections. After the week of campaigning, they went away with an NUS delegate and representation on Union Board if I recall. Pretty good show I must say.
Well, 2 out of the 3 universities in SA have finished with their elections. One more to go. UniSA: my home ground. It's going to be a war this year. We'll have to do our best to get something out of it. Let the games begin...








2 Comments:
i totali agree wif the bigger facs bullying the small facs issue. Curtin was a warzone...it turned into a racist election..i kid u not. and its bloody horrible because of dat. in any case...we managed 3...so its ok i guess. but it was horrible..and in all honesty, i am reali not looking forward to NUS...
Well, racism in elections is always used to defeat us. We adapted to it though. It works in our favour quite a bit I must say. Anyways, a lot of the other factions look down on us. My policy is: "If you don't want to give it to us, we'll just have to take it ourselves!". Haha! I know we won't always win but whatever it is we'll put up a fight. We gave them such a fight here some of them didn't want to turn up the next day. They all think they are so big and powerful factions but deep down, they are all cowards hiding behind a banner. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll have fun at NUS!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home