Sunday, March 12, 2006

Oh Danny Bhoy, Danny Bhoy, Danny Bhoy...

In case you don't know your music, the title of this post is an infusion of some of the lyrics from the Chumbawamba song Tubthumping and the name of the comedian I saw just a while ago. Danny Bhoy was just great!

I reached the Freemasons Hall about half an hour before the show. It didn't seem like many people were around so I thought it was gonna be a small audience. I did get a little worried though as not many people were there after waiting a while. So I went to the ticket counter and asked. It was then I realised that the line was actually outside. Out I went and saw the line. Problem was, I couldn't see the end of it! I had to walk quite a distance before reaching the end. Did I mention it was raining? I was pretty soaked but so was everyone else who didn't have an umbrella; basically 3/4 of the people there. Anyways, the line moved at a snail's pace and I only got in about 9pm. The place was packed! From a rough count I gathered that there were more than 600 people there. Almost a full house. The only empty seat I saw was the one next to me.

The show began and Danny Bhoy came in amidst thunderous applause. There were a few girls in the front row who managed to get a few jokes out of him about waiting in the rain and some props they brought with them. Anyways, any jokes I try to type out here won't be funny read so I won't even attempt to do so. He made fun of issues including the Scottish breakfast, the racial riots in Sydney and people's attitudes towards him. He was really animated and into his jokes. The audience was left laughing throughout the show. It was almost perfect. The only teeny-weeny drawback was that about 2 out of his uncountable array of jokes I heard before from watching the Melbourne Comedy Festival Gala on TV. Even those were still updated and funnier when heard the second time around.

Needless to say, it was worth every penny. My disappointment with missing him in Melbourne last year was more than compensated for. Sure the tickets were a tad on the expensive side. Despite that, I would have been willing to pay more for this performance. Simply stellar.

Well, I'm not sure if I'll go for any other comedy acts during this Fringe festival. Akmal Saleh may be good. Whatever it is, I'll make my mind up in the coming days. If you ever get the opportunity, make sure you go to see Danny Bhoy. Believe me, he's worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home