Thursday, February 09, 2006

The battles begin...

The past week has been really hectic. Since our first lectures were to be on Tuesday, I spent the Monday doing some work in office and vacuuming my apartment. My VP who was deputising my position went AWOL so I didn't have the keys to my office. It's a pain to get someone to let me into my office every time. Anyways, I've been bogged down by meetings and lectures. Tuesday was pretty full-on. Started the morning with a phone conversation with our lawyer. Had to go to Chancellery for a Student Misconduct Hearing and after that meet with a State Minister together with the Presidents of the other two Student Associations. After that it was back to uni.

We had our first Council meeting for the year on Wednesday. It went very smoothly. After all, we occupy virtually all the positions on Council! Anyways, the biggest problem we are facing is our university's inaction with regards to VSU. We've been having countless meetings with the University since last year but until now, have still not received any indication as to how they want us to reform in order to deal with VSU. It's getting too late. I'm not too worried about my position. It's the staff that troubles me. It must be so hard working and not knowing whether you will still have your job in the next couple of months. We can't delay any longer. If we have to shut down then we have to know now so that staff get enough notice. If not then we have to know as well so that we can get prepared with doing what we need to do to survive.

Due to all these facts, I sent an e-mail to the Vice-Chancellor, Chancellor and Executive Director of Finance blasting the university's inaction. Not sure how they'll react. At least I got legal advice before the e-mail so that I'm covered in case of any unwanted reaction. Haha!

It's tough studying and working at the same time; especially in a job that requires a lot of thinking. Nevertheless, I can't imagine how bored I would be if I didn't spend my free time thinking. Thinking, thinking, thinking. Fun but taxing.

It's finally sunk in that I failed to qualify for Honours. Quite surprising to be honest. I mean, when I see some of those who I know I'm better than getting it at my expense it's quite frustrating. Yet, I'm not too fussed. I needed Honours so that I can go straight to a PhD without having to do a Masters. My parents were hoping I'd get it too. Unfortunately, I failed. It's not common that I fail in something major I try to achieve. Nevertheless, there's always a reason for the failure. I should know that by now. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Everything major I've asked for I've always got. On certain ocassions, I don't get what I ask for. Yet, some form of "compensation" always comes along. Perhaps this failure is to allow me to concentrate more time in my position as President. Maybe something great will come along this year as a result of my hard work. Who knows? Only God knows. Yes, it is disappointing. But it's not everything. I just need to keep moving forward and working on what I have.

The troops seem to be rallying over the horizon. It's going to be a really tough year. At the same time though, it's sure to be exciting. I'm enjoying every second being President for the second term. The holidays have done me good. I'm refreshed and ready for action. So bring it on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home