Saturday, March 18, 2006

St. Patrick's Day...

Well, the usual happened. Green beer and lots of drinking. Not on my part though! Anyways, I wanted to join in our campus activities but instead had to attend a meeting with the stupid university regarding VSU. As usual there were the "negotiating" arguments. Regardless, I wasn't very happy missing out on the festivities and cheap green beer.

At night I went out with some friends down the East End to check out the street party. It wasn't too bad. Nothing special though. Just a band playing in front of PJ O'Briens; our local Irish pub. While walking away from it after a while, we stopped by the new chocolate shop. I didn't feel that there was as good a selection as Chocolate Bean. Nevertheless, I ordered a Chocolate Mud Sandwich which didn't have much chocolate at all. Just white chocolate and a lot of different fruits and unidentifiable ingredients. The taste was great though. A splash of flavours in the mouth.

Everyone headed back to my place where we played games till aout 6am. You can imagine how groggy I feel now. I usually use my weekends to catch up on lost sleep but today I had less sleep than I get on weekdays.

I tend to wonder how certain religious celebrations can turn into a non-religious celebration. We see it with St. Patrick's Day, Christmas and even Easter. All Catholic holidays which eventually become so secularised that people forget its religious ties. Christmas is more about presents and trees and Santa Claus instead of the birth of Jesus Christ. St. Patrick's Day has become more of drinking than the celebration of a Saint. Easter has become more about eggs and bunnies rather than the Resurrection of Jesus. A clear example of the increasing secularisation of modern society. Everyone is more interested in the fanciful things associated with the celebration rather than the main reasons behind the celebration. Such a pity.

When will humans learn? Pleasure and quick-fixes won't lead to happiness. Hard to imagine no? How can one not be happy with a lot of money and worldly posessions? Oh well, that's why religions exist. To guide us down the proper path. I'm sure there are still a lot of people around the world saying a prayer through St. Patrick; the patron saint of Ireland. At least there's still some hope left in this crazy world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home